livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Diana Jancek <dijaan@charter.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Warning against using hay as mulch
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:32:16 -0400

The farm couple in this story lost half their farm crops due to using hay mulch contaminated with picloram, a broadleaf plant growth inhibitor. According to Dow AgroSciences the warning label on the picloram product called Grazon says not to even use composted animal manure from animals eating & bedding in treated hay. The feed store owner that I buy my straw bales from told me its not a problem with straw. Does anybody know different?
Diana Jancek

Bitter Harvest in Sperryville
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/10/AR2007071000334.html?nav=hcmodule