livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Preservation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Preservation
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:53:10 -0600

Sun drying can be as simple as screening over a wood frame. Cutting the
produce varies with the kind of produce. May only take a day to dry in your
heat. You may want to lay some light fabric over it all while drying. You
can also lay it in the rear window of a car to dry. I bet Carla Emery's
book has a great section on food drying. We'll be making sun dried tomatoes
this fall from any tomatoes not right for sale. Chefs will go nuts over
heirloom dried tomatoes.

You're certainly on the right track with low tech solutions. It's
surprising how easy and foolproof they can be.