livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food Preservation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "OpenPermaculture" <Permaculture@openpermaculture.org>, "Living on the Land" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Austinperm" <austinperm@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food Preservation
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:58:09 -0500

As this is the first season we've had to seriously think about preserving the food from our garden, we find ourselves a bit behind the curve and could use some help.

We're using a small electric dehydrator to learn about drying & will build a solar dryer when we have time.

Root cellars aren't viable in Central Texas, so we're considering a freezer.  However, I don't want to increase our dependency on the grid OR spend a lot of money right now on solar (our electric bills are too small to make solar a good economic choice for other purposes).

SO, I'm considering an AC/DC freezer to use with the grid now and off-grid stand-alone solar in the future and for disaster preparedness.

Finally, the question:  I'm seeking input on AC/DC freezers from anyone who has personal knowledge or experience.  Thanks.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz