livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Preservation

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Preservation
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 02:10:12 -0700 (PDT)

Mitch,

We make preserves to conserve most of our vegetables. You heat the
vegetables before sealing them in a screw-on glass. This works fine for
tomatoes, zucchini, eggplants, etc., but can be tricky for beans for
example.

Most people around here, who are not connected to the grid, use AC/DC
freezers. I haven’t heard about any complaints. You can use a timing
device to switch the freezer on during the day, when the sun is on
the solar panels, and turn it off during the night. We lost all our frozen
food last year, when the grid collapsed and we won’t there to reset the
fuse after grid services resumed.

I failed so far with sun-drying even though we have plenty of sun. I guess
I’m always to busy with other things when we have the greatest heat in
July and August. We also get a lot of humidity during the night when it
cools down a quite a bit. When I get some time, I want to build some
sort of sun drying device like the one described in Seymour´s book on
self sufficient living.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

"E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net> wrote:
As this is the first season we've had to seriously think about preserving the food from our garden, we find ourselves a bit behind the curve and could use some help.

We're using a small electric dehydrator to learn about drying & will build a solar dryer when we have time.

Root cellars aren't viable in Central Texas, so we're considering a freezer.  However, I don't want to increase our dependency on the grid OR spend a lot of money right now on solar (our electric bills are too small to make solar a good economic choice for other purposes).

SO, I'm considering an AC/DC freezer to use with the grid now and off-grid stand-alone solar in the future and for disaster preparedness.

Finally, the question:  I'm seeking input on AC/DC freezers from anyone who has personal knowledge or experience.  Thanks.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz