livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Small-scale Ranching; was Why Sustainable Growing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Small-scale Ranching; was Why Sustainable Growing
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:13:53 -0500

That's exactly the point, and it seems to me that both of those, and free-range eggs and organic or raw milk are better handled by a relatively small farm/ranch.  I'm seeing more of these kinds of operations in Central Texas, but not enough to meet the demand, especially from restaurants.  What's the deal?  Is it just too much work or investment?

There's a lot of grassland in Texas that is well suited to raising herbivores, but where it would be very difficult to sustainably raise annual vegetables or grain.  Some folks are successfully using Holistic Management principles in these operations, but there must be systemic barriers, because it's not happening enough.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz