livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] why sustainable growing/ was Texas

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] why sustainable growing/ was Texas
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 06:07:37 -0500

Toward that end:  I concluded that I needed to learn more about what we should EAT for optimum health, so that I could better decide what to GROW.  Extensive study has led me to a conundrum.  Apparently, our health and fitness is best served my consumption of some animal protein and fats.  The Environment is best served by consumption of mostly vegetarian food.  I don't want to keep animals, and the current agribusiness model for animal-raising doesn't appear sustainable.  That just leaves small, local, "ranchers".

What I'm getting at is that I can foresee nearly everyone doing some gardening and supplying some of their produce.  What is really needed is many more small-scale bird (and egg) ranchers, and grass-fed beef ranchers, and fish farmers, and dairy farmers.  Apparently this works best in conjunction with crop-raising, but it looks like too much work.  I don't know how our ancestors did all they did.

How does the raising of livestock integrate with raised-bed, no-till market gardening?  The market gardeners around here generally have some chickens, but I don't know of any that also do goats or beef or milk.  It's usually one or the other.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz