livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] why sustainable growing/ was Texas

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] why sustainable growing/ was Texas
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:57:18 -0600

Really it's not either or. Some would say everything in moderation. Plant
what will grow where you are, what you can keep in winter, what you already
like to eat. We're all going to buy or barter foods we don't grow for
whatever reasons. So not everybody needs to raise animals, as not everybody
needs to raise carrots or nectarines. The real environmental impact of
animals is the factory feedlots and acres of cage chickens, and we can eat
just fine without either. Eliminating factory farmed animals would reduce
our meet consumption to a small fraction of what it is, and no doubt we'd
be better off without all the toxics they involve. It would be pretty hard
for most of us to swear off all animal products. It would help if we could
afford only free range chicken and grass fed beef now and then.