livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] succession planting - advice and benefits!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] succession planting - advice and benefits!
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:40:48 -0600

I'm afraid this is the "ramp-up". We've noticed the garden centers here
have almost doubled prices for a their starter vegetable plants and some
other items like garden tools. I suspect their suppliers have raised
wholesale prices. Energy costs that go into production and transport are
going up. Cost of doing business?

Seeing the prices this spring, starting our own seedlings would be a timely
subject here. I've had some trouble with direct seeding but no problems yet
with seeding 4" pots in the greenhouse. Wind and frosty nights have
conspired against my earliest direct seeding so transplants are coming
online just in time. Some places are selling soil block devices, something
recommended by Eliot Coleman. I see a nursery in Abq selling the broad fork
for $140. I won't be using one of those. Jeavons recommended the broad fork
or similar device for double digging and loosening the top foot, but
frankly the no-till option looks better and better.