livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Chickens in the Garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Chickens in the Garden
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:20:32 -0600

On 4/20/07 9:35 AM, "Kris Holstrom" <kholstrom@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have high predator pressure on our place at 9000' in SW Colorado.
> Chickens
> have to be completely enclosed all the time due to neighbor dogs, coyotes,
> bobcats, hawks and owls. I use a "chicken tractor" in the garden - a mobile
> structure that allows the chickens to clean up the leftovers within the
> garden
> beds as we move them around.
>
> I also have a chicken run built along the inside edge of the garden fence.
> This gives them a safe space, out of the garden and acts like a "bug
> zapper".
> No grasshoppers make it through and we have an easy place to throw weeds
> that
> the chickens find tasty.

We're almost neighbors over here on Log Hill Mesa at 7800', Kris.

Many thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. What Kris is doing
sounds like the easiest solution for our situation.

One more question for you Kris. Is your chicken run topped with chicken
wire for the aerial predators or do you find it's not that much of a
problem?

Gail