livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] succession planting - advice and benefits!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] succession planting - advice and benefits!
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:54:20 -0500

I understand that this is a complex subject and, so far, I'm not helping much, but I'm juggling too many threads and don't want to let go of any of them.

Lately I've read of "reductionist thinking", expressed as a "bad" thing, but after a lifetime as an engineer, I'll have to stick with it  until I understand the concept and what may be wrong with it better.  So, try to solve the problems separately.

I want to break down the various ways of thinking about "companion" planting in order to simplify.  One way, already mentioned, is annual rotation.  This seems easiest to resolve by grouping your planting beds into groups of 3, for a 3-year rotation, like Jeavon's heavy feeder > heavy giver > Light feeder rotation.  That way, three succession plans can be developed; one for each bed that can be reused each year (but on the next bed in the rotation).  With the rotation factor gone, it's easier to do, first, temporal planning, then spatial planning.  Then check the plan against beneficial/antagonist characteristics.  Very reductionist, but when you're through with this process, you can step back and look at the big picture.

With the fruits and annual vegetables covered, I'm going to make a grain-garden plan on paper, trying Winter Wheat, followed by a hot-weather bean, for two crops per year.  Don't know what to rotate it with in the other bed(s)..  Maybe a carbon crop?  If I can come up with a reasonable plan by Fall, I may do it in soil.

My nutritional reading has convinced me to plan some chickens and I have an acre that could be used for a cow, but I just can't stretch my imagination that far right now (never milked anything!).

As I said....too many threads.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz