livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

You're right Paul

I have had enough rage to fill canyons and I, for
myself, have found that hating and being angry with
people who are trying today to fix yesterday's and
another person's wrongs will not make me one whit less
angry, and I have not ever seen it make anyone else
less angry or happier either, hence displaced. I have
a perfect right and cause for my rage and anger, and
so do all the people that I have spoken of, but it
does not help them work with whatever help comes their
way. I have waded through my share of this displaced
anger and it gets tiresome for me, who knows it as an
old friend, how much more tiresome, and frightening
will it be, then, for some happy stranger who stumbles
into it out of an urge to help? They, in their
ignorance expected to be able to give an easy hand up
and walk away patting themselves on their backs. It
takes real stubbornness, character, or just plain
matching dysfunction to wade through what lies under
the economic disaster.

This fuels much of my interest in this area, to be
able to produce my own food and my family's is a thing
I need and a thing that we all will need.

To bring it back to this topic; that was the reason
for community gardens and victory gardens. Even when
it seems like prosperity will last there is a
reservoir of gardeners in urban areas who can fuel
tomorrow's victory gardens almost overnight. Setting
them up and making them grow is, indeed, gong to be a
bigger question and can be a sadder reply
http://www.ejrc.cau.edu/ if the crisis turns out to be
long and huge, as many of us, here, expect, but this
well of experience exists. The kitchen and Community
gardens we seldom hear about are grown by poor people
who are uninterested in public banter about gardening
Only disaster, and famous people get these gardens
into the public eye;
http://www.southcentralfarmers.org/story.html But one
of my old neighbors, in a more humble non-HOA
neighborhood hand tilled every square inch of his
yard, front and back, and since his yard backed up to
some woods he also had a couple of animal traps. Not
the sort kids could get trapped in, but the humane
sort that would still get him something as large as a
javelina. I still don't know what that old fart spent
his retirement check on, if anything.

Personally, I would eventually like to set up a
program in our local prisons to teach this, an
adjacent program to the Community Garden I am helping
to start up through my congregation. My
church/denomination is active in both areas as well as
in organic and local foods, I can, and am, using that
to spread my ideas of food security through urban food
gardening. Just because my health is pooping out and
I can't handle city pollution much longer doesn't mean
I can't leave a bit of usefulness behind me.

Yours, Pego

Need Mail bonding?