livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "linda" <lindai81@comcast.net>
  • To: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:09:37 -0700

Well, some places it does work. I live where Flores lives and we, as a community, are doing it now. Planting in odd places I mean. The circles in the middle of a street that are there to deter speeders, the median strips, etc. We are insisting that there be toxic free parks for children to safely play in. Street theater is a big thing here and art swaps do make money. Much vacant land has been turned into community gardens. We use composting reserves and sources to build up soil. And yes, Flores does know how to build up healthy soil so that toxins are not needed to kill of insects, or to fertilize the soil with synthetic chemicals. You dig up the median strips and put in soil that has been conditioned with natural things like compost and a natural fertilizer. The median strips are respected by people, the city has approved them and so it works here. People are astounded to see businesses putting in food plants in their areas. Then there is the planting of gardens on balconies, roof tops, any number of places. Just as people make raised garden beds one can do so on a smaller scale. Container gardening is practice every where. Everything helps. Unless you live here you really can't dismiss Flores ideas. And they certainly aren't new ideas or only done here, but around the world. I think one of the benefits to this too is that it gets people more in touch with nature, induces more thinking about the planet they are destroying and how they can stop being a part of that. And it helps educate their neighbors which spreads out throughout an entire community.
linda
linda's organic gardens: http://photos.yahoo.com/womyn47