livingontheland - [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domikez <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:58:16 -0700 (PDT)

'Fruits of Vacant Lots'

It does seem to work, at least my cousing in West
Seattle (slum of homehowners) is next door to a vacant
lot, where quite a variety of trees and free greens
are lovingly tended. it is not pretty, and not
sustainable, but it has been thriving for twelve
years, and has a remarkable soil built up. Benches
around a cook-out pit make a special atmosphere.

I do not want to bet on that luck much in the
aftermath of George Bush's America. But I do wonder
if it is something reproducible, or just an anomaly?

After peak-oil, people might slow down enough to get
into gardening!

Regards,
Zack

'More on Food Not Lawns'
To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing"
<livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>

Well, some places it does work. I live where Flores
lives and we, as a
community, are doing it now. Planting in odd places I
mean. The circles
in the middle of a street that are there to deter
speeders, the median
strips, etc. We are insisting that there be toxic free
parks for
children to safely play in. Street theater is a big
thing here and art swaps
do make money. Much vacant land has been turned into
community gardens.
We use composting reserves and sources to build up
soil. And yes,
Flores does know how to build up healthy soil so that
toxins are not needed
to kill of insects, or to fertilize the soil with
synthetic chemicals.
You dig up the median strips and put in soil that has
been conditioned
with natural things like compost and a natural
fertilizer. The median
strips are respected by people, the city has approved
them and so it
works here. People are astounded to see businesses
putting in food plants
in their areas. Then there is the planting of gardens
on balconie
s, roof tops, any number of places. Just as people
make raised garden
beds one can do so on a smaller scale. Container
gardening is practice
every where. Everything helps. Unless you live here
you really can't
dismiss Flores ideas. And they certainly aren't new
ideas or only done
here, but around the world. I think one of the
benefits to this too is
that it gets people more in touch with nature, induces
more thinking
about the planet they are destroying and how they can
stop being a part of
that. And it helps educate their neighbors which
spreads out throughout
an entire community.
linda

Bored stiff? Loosen up...