livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:33:50 -0600

FYI street medians are fine for native ornamentals, but food plants there
would get exhaust fumes every day.

I've heard of Green Guerillas for years, and their intentions are good. For
my part, I have plenty of patience but I wouldn't ever refer to them as
"these sorts of people". Politicians have been ruined before over two words
"you people", referring to the inhabitants of big city slums. I don't
dismiss the young people who've given of themselves, but I'm wary of how
much gardening will continue after they've left and moved on. The poor and
disadvantaged are always skeptical of do-gooders, esp us white bread types
who obviously have the time and resources to spare so we can volunteer. To
me it's a bit like the Peace Corps bringing "modern" methods to the
"benighted, ignorant masses" of the third world - when they should go to
those countries and ask to learn from them instead.

That said we have to keep up the concern for society's "throw away people"
as you so well described them. I got lucky with college and all, but in my
life I've known street people and I've been homeless. You have to meet them
on their own terms. I question the part about misplaced fear and anger.
They have a right to be angry. Those of us with computers and good food
do so at the expense of 90% of the rest of the world; we hog the world's
resources. In the middle class in this country we each have dozens of
"energy slaves" working for us night and day with luxury and convenience
the ancient Romans with human slaves could have never imagined. We have a
huge, hidden underclass right here at home; their numbers are growing and
the wealth gap between the very rich and the middle class keeps expanding.
Finding our own ways to grow and live sustainably (and affordably) under
the radar is our best defense. If we can help less fortunate neighbors to
do likewise, great. The main barrier is still the fact that the poorest
don't own property for growing, and nice folks don't want them tresspassing
on vacant lots.