livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Is organic food the real deal?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Is organic food the real deal?
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:58:43 -0600

Unfortunately, testing produce for pesticides is prohibitively expensive,
and USDA does not rely on testing for organic certification. Of course
chemical fertilizers don't show up in produce as chemicals that can be
tested. Certification is all based on documenting permitted inputs and land
history for three years back - correct? No one knows whether prohibited
chemicals were used. Which leaves us buying local from known sources and
growing our own to know what we're getting. I read recently that USDA has
never yet levied any fines against corporations violating organic
standards, or revoked anyone's certification over it ("we didn't do it and
we promise not to do it again"). And what control does USDA have over
"organic" tomatoes grown in Mexico, or wheat gluten (pet food) from China,
or winter produce from Chile? Zip.