livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Food Not Lawns
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:02:09 -0600

Well, we're all free to disagree, and I disagree. I do not agree anything
that gets people excited about growing food is good. Starting all wrong
turns people off to growing like nothing else can. They pick the wrong
place, try to plant in bad soil, fail to mulch or water, or overwater, let
it get overgrown with weeds or work too hard weeding, and surprise! the
bugs get it first. Happens all the time. The usual reaction is, gardening
is too much work and too little results. Forget it. Medians and vacant lots
make the worst possible start.

Street medians are poisonous. Want your food plants to breathe exhaust
fumes all day? Go right ahead.

Sure, making vacant lots into gardens are a cute story for Link TV et al.
But suitable vacant lots are very few and far between. Think. Those lots
are someone else's property. Unless you get written permission, you're
trespassing. Unless you get a long term lease, you may or may not get use
of it for a whole season, much less several years to make it worthwhile to
build up soil and fence out intruders. And if it's a group effort, who's
doing the work and providing the know how, and who's picking the harvest?
Talk about a mess.

Go right ahead with street theater and art swaps. The street people will
either laugh at you or mug you. You hope we don't let what is ideal get in
the way of what is better than nothing. Nice philosophy but has nothing to
do with actually growing food you can eat. End of story.

(my post deleted for space)