livingontheland - [Livingontheland] on "real farming"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] on "real farming"
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:20:51 -0700 (PDT)

...well, the reason i value this list so much and i
keep the digests in a resource folder is because i
think this list is about "real" farming.

here in our location, just setting out to get a small
parcel of land (15 to 25 acres perhaps), without a
chunk of land being passed down through generations,
there is no other alternative for us but the very
small-scale "mini farm" or "micro-eco-farm" whatever
you want to call it. so for me, this list is about how
to get the most out of a tiny patch. not a real farm
at all, i suppose.

the normal Joe in this country cannot possibly set out
to go into large-scale farming (even on 160 acres,
which is now considered tiny). there is no entry-level
into "real farming" any longer--except as an
8-hour-a-day worker punching a clock on a big dairy
farm factory in this area.

here's a capsule story that illustrates this. just 6
miles out of the small city we live in, is a 160-acre
dairy now being sold by an elderly lady who wants to
go live in town in assisted living. she wants over
$400,000 -- almost half a million -- for the 160,
which nobody has been willing to put up. so, she's
decided to sell it in 4 x 40s each over $100K.

now that $100K is a bit too much even for the most
avid yuppie trophy-home building couple; most of the
potential buyers have been asking to get paired up
with smaller buyers, perhaps splitting into 8 x 20s
for cheaper prices. not to farm on, just to live with
a really, really, really big lawn.

just shows to go ya, how hard it is to get into "real
farming." and the younger people want a trophy home
and a job in town, not a farm.

bobby g

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html