livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] on "real farming"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] on "real farming"
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:03:16 -0700 (PDT)

The children of farmers do not want to farm and that should surprise no one.  All they hear is negative.  [Farmers must get off the government welfare and support themselves.  This will restore their self-esteem, dignity and pride.]

But that is not the true picture.  There are many people entering farming - minifarming.  You do not read this in the farm magazines.  Most internships, apprentiships, etc pretty much fill up every year.  More and more minifarmers are suppling the local market.

I think there is more opportunity in farming today than there has been for decades.  I am very encouraged for the future.  A person who wants to mini-farm can get the training and experience, find some free land to use in an urban area, and start.  All he/she needs is a machete and some seed.  The market is all around him/her.

Ken Hargesheimer

Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com> wrote:
just shows to go ya, how hard it is to get into "real
farming." and the younger people want a trophy home
and a job in town, not a farm.

bobby g