livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] on "real farming"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] on "real farming"
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 06:46:55 -0700 (PDT)

Norma,

In my opinion you have it figured out.  Many people coming into farming are people who have had a fill of the "Good Life" with money, work, etc and realized that it was all show.  They then returned to the land; many who have no experience on the land.

ken

Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ken,
I'm the daughter of a farmer.  I always wanted to farm, but it's only been in the last 5 years that both of my brothers realized that they feel that way too.  As the children of farmers hit their mid-thirties I think they begin to realize what it is that they had.  I saw that with both of my brothers.  That being said, we all have a different purpose and drive.  Jeff, the youngest is drawn to the soil, he likes planting and has bees.  Lewis has fruit trees, cattle and horses.  I'm the shepherd of the bunch although I garden as well.  It works well for us because what we raise benefits all of us.  We use the bedding from my winter barns on the gardens and rotate livestock on the pastures.  The rotation allows us to seldom need to use chemical wormers.  Sheep and goats carry the same parasites, but cattle differ from the sheep, so by running them one behind the other, most of the parasites that infect one species are dead before they are rotated back on that spot.
Norma

--
Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation. - Andrew Murray

visit our farm site at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/ _______________________________________________