livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Bridging the Gap: Garden to Table

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Neil Inman" <neildona@hotmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Bridging the Gap: Garden to Table
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:53:27 -0600

"E. E. Mitchamore Jr" emitch@att.net,

One of my favorite garden to table cookbooks is "The Victory Garden Cookbook" She helped me look at my kitchen needs in a more basic way.

I also have taken to the idea of planning my garden according to what I want fixed in my kitchen. In my opinion my list of items remaining to be purchased "off the farm" (eg sea salt, coffe, etc) is still too long, but I figure I will work away from a few and barter for the rest later.

---------------------------------

STEP ONE: I listed my favorite (new) recipes. If you dont have "Nourishing Traditions", you can find more recipe ideas listed at http://cookingnt.com/ppf.aspx

STEP TWO: I took each of my tried & true recipes and went thru it ingredient by ingredient and listed (in red) the ingredients I knew I could grow myself next to the name of the recipe. I only listed each item once...so if there is nothing listed by an item it means the ingredient(s) is/are used in a recipe previous or it is in the co-op shopping list in step four.

I) Main dishes
Roast Beast of just about any barnyard species - lol (chicken, quail, goat, beef, geese & duck...garlic & yellow onions)
Baked Whiting (red onions)
II) Soups
Chicken stock (celery, carrots, parsley, vinegar)
Coconut chicken soup (red chilies, basil, sweet potatoes)
Bird & Bull Soup (tomatoes, red potatoes, cabbage)
Borsch (chives, beets, dill)
Bean Sprout Soup (green onions, mung beans)
III) Salads
None yet
IV) Fermentations (e.g. pickles)
Kefir (plain & smoothies) (eggs, milk)
Preserved lemons (whey)
Kvass
Grn Tomato Salsa (cilantro, oregano, tomatillos, jalepenos)
LA Kraut Super Tonic (white onion, echinacea)
V) Breakfast Fair
Dutch Baby Pancakes (wheat)
Bread
Super Scramble
Blender Pancakes
VI) REAL Dairy (milk, cream, cheeses)
Sour Cream
Curds & Whey
Cultured butter
VII) Breads & Desserts
Arrowroot Crackers (cayenne)
Sourdough Starter

STEP THREE: I sorted the red items into garden & homestead catagories, so I would have a list of what needed to be planted, bred or made at home. This is not ALL we will plant, but it has now been established as what HAS to be planted ;)

HERBS: Garlic, Cutting Celery, Parsley, Basil, Chives, Dill, Cilantro, Oregano, Chili & Jalepeno Peppers, Onions (red, green, white & yellow)
VEGGIES: Carrots, Tomatoes, Potatoes (red & sweet) Cabbage, Beets, Tomatillos, Beans (mung & green)
ANIMALS PRODUCTS: Cow (whole milk), Poultry (meat & eggs), Goats (meat & milk)
HOMEMADE: Vinegars, Tonics & Soaps

Im NOT a vegetable gardener. But this list made the task at hand alot more planner friendly - lol. Actually Im the animal guard-ner at our place. Im adding a cow and 150 chickens to our place this month. Its MY opinion that I can eat many wildcrafted things...I love the idea of hugelkulture beds, but the meat is another story. Of course w/o browse/pasture/etc there would be no meat naturally. So Im working more on soil and increasing the fertility of my ground than what to grow for the table....but we sort of all have to do it all - lol. Its maddening some days.

As for what to grow where....Im reminded of an orb garden...Im still under the impression we are to TAKE dominion and that we can grow many things in many places. The FUN part is the experimenting....my husband wants 2-3 gradens this year so as not to cross polinate experiments. http://www.helpforthehungry.focuspage.com/orb_vertical_garden.htm

Just some thoughts...not pretending to have any answers to your or anyone elses quaestions. Hope this will add a plus in some way to your life though :o)

Dona in OK

With tax season right around the corner, make sure to follow these few simple tips.