livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composting chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Jerome Rigot <rigot.3@osu.edu>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composting chickens
  • Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 09:20:07 -0500

There is a great deal of info on mortality composting. Specific to chicken, you may want to check http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/composting_poultry_mortality.html
Also, check
[PDF]

Microsoft PowerPoint - 09 Composting - Mortality Composting

If you google with the key words "mortality composting" you will get a great deal of info.

In any case, I feel this is worth doing, as it is the safest way and an environmentally sound approach to deal with accidental animal mortality. Inciniration (not the same thing as burning on an open-air fire!) is another alternative but not easily accessible, is expensive and does release undesirable contaminants into the air.

Mortality composting also provide you with a valuable compost.

Jerome