livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composting chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composting chickens
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:53:07 -0800 (PST)

Joanna,

I raise chickens each year for replacement hens and freezer birds.  I try to put the feathers on the compost pile, the dogs and cats get the heads and what entrails they want, and I get the rest of the bird.

Old roosters still make a great chicken stock, so you might want to butcher the rooster, skin it, toss the skin and feathers and head on the compost pile or in it.  After the carcass has been used to make a good chicken stock, you can still put it and the veggies on the compost pile or in it.  This is assuming you don't have a stray cat or rodent problem.

Carrie
meat eating Okie