livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composting chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John Smith" <mikakigr@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composting chickens
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:23:57 +0200

At the end there did you mean you feed chicken meat to chickens?

On 2/13/07, Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I've read that Joel Salatin composts the chicken "residue" from butchering,
> but I'm talking a whole chicken. . . .I have 2 horrible inedible roosters that need culling...
>
> --Joanna in Whatcom County, WA

I've written before on the list about my maggot breeding setup for
turning carrion into high-quality protein for the birds, and now there
is info about my system up on the site:

http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Feeding-Chickens-Maggots.html

I would never use a sick bird in the maggot buckets, of course, but have
more than once used a bird that died by accident. (I also process
slaughtering day's entrails thru the maggot buckets.)

> Old roosters still make a great chicken stock, so you might want to butcher the rooster, skin it, toss the skin and feathers and head on the compost pile or in it.  After the carcass has been used to make a good chicken stock, you can still put it and the veggies on the compost pile or in it.  . .
> Carrie
> meat eating Okie

But I'm with Carrie: The stockpot is a much better place for a tough or
ornery old bird that's begging to be culled. And note she said "skin."
If I'm doing a proper slaughtering, I scald and pluck. But if I have
just one or two birds to cull on the run, it's much faster to just skin,
gut, and throw in the stockpot. But a better use of the stock-making
residues, Carrie, is--feed them to the flock. Ain't nothing they like
better than--chicken!

~Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us