livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] chickens and soil building

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Art Corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] chickens and soil building
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:07:39 -0500

Hi Carry,

Sounds like you have a good operation going there with the chickens. I love those rich golden yellow egg yokes. I used to think the feed is what caused the yokes to be real rich but it isn't. The sun shining on the backs of the hens is what produces it. All the eggs we by now are from hens kept in these big houses. All we are actually buying are the cull eggs that are not suitable for hatching. The better eggs are hatched to produce all this chicken people ear.

Most of the eggs are laid on the floor in all the mess. The shells are contaminated to a point they can make you sick if you don't handle them right. I hope to have a place pretty soon where I can have some more chickens.

Art