livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on maggots: My system described

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Alan Whitaker <alan@dunbrokeus.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on maggots: My system described
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:59:35 -0500

art corbit wrote:

There is no way I would eat chicken of their eggs if they were fed maggots.
I just wouldn't have chickens at all if that was all I could afford to feed
them. Most families produce enough table scraps and other household waste to
feed a dozen or so hens. Chickens will eat just about anything. You can cook
potato peels a little and chickens will ear every bite of them. They will
eat about any kind of garden waste. You can easily grow a few rows of head
grain. Just cut the heads and toss a few into the pen. Chickens love to
pick the grain off the heads. The old saying that "you are what you eat"
also applies to chickens.

Art in Arkansas

I hope you are not buying chicken at your local grocer and eating it. It's nothing for the growers to have a few hundred dead chickens in the morning in each house and the others pecking at them. Also, cannibalism and disease are rampant in these houses
even though this is considered the "best" way to produce poultry.