livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on maggots: My system described

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "art corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on maggots: My system described
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:15:17 -0500

There is no way I would eat chicken of their eggs if they were fed maggots.
I just wouldn't have chickens at all if that was all I could afford to feed
them. Most families produce enough table scraps and other household waste to
feed a dozen or so hens. Chickens will eat just about anything. You can cook
potato peels a little and chickens will ear every bite of them. They will
eat about any kind of garden waste. You can easily grow a few rows of head
grain. Just cut the heads and toss a few into the pen. Chickens love to
pick the grain off the heads. The old saying that "you are what you eat"
also applies to chickens.

Art in Arkansas