livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on maggots: My system described

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on maggots: My system described
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:13:56 +0000

Chickens are filthy creatures at best but what
you feed them makes a lot of difference in what is contained in their meat
and eggs.

Art in Arkansas

I think "filthy" is in the eye of the beholder. Many people would say the same about pigs, actually quite clean animals if given the chance and managed properly. Chickens are only filthy if we house and manage them that way. In the green season, the key is to keep them on pasture. In the winter quarters, the key is deep litter over an earth floor. In these conditions chickens are quite clever at keeping themselves pristine through constant preening.

My article on deep litter in the poultry house is at

http://themodernhomestead.us/poultry/litter.html

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va