livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Root cellar

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Root cellar
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:36:36 -0400

Art,

I'm not trying to be a contrary snot nose whippersnapper but I have lived in old houses all my life (in NH 36 yrs) and every one of them had a root cellar, a pantry and a larder, all with differing climates for food storage. In fact my parent's house used to belong to the local ice man and he had an elaborate ice cellar which kept the ice frozen straight through 'til the fall - but I digress. We would keep our root crops and apples in sand in these big bins in the high humidy root cellars, as well as butter and a few cabbages (Dad hates Cabbage, but Mom is 1/2 Irish and really needs a boiled dinner ever now and again) (incidently, blueberries do quite well in a root cellar and we would have some still around christmas time if we didn't eat them all first). Even my current house which has tide lines on the cellar walls has a root cellar section in the high corner (dirt floor + high water table + 320 yrs = very sloped floor). We keep our roots (potatoes and carrots mostly) in giant pickle crocks that were left here by the previous owner becuse they are too darned heavy to lug up the stairs and even with water on the floor we have no rot. I think this year I'm going to try the leaving the carrots in the ground method and see if that works out well.

Tameson the youngish old yank