livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] storing roots and vegetables

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] storing roots and vegetables
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:02:10 +0000

My oldest brother loves to grow potatoes. He also loves woodworking and has a lot of extra sawdust. He stores his potatoes in vats of sawdust, so they don't touch each other. One year he gave everyone their own big burlap sack full of potatoes for Christmas. They did not grow eyes on them as Art says, and they sure weren't rotton either. Some of the root vegetables do rot - that is why you store them in a manner where they don't touch each other, and you check them periodically and take the rotten ones out so the rot doesn't spread.

Gwen

My wife achieves the same results with sweet potatoes by wrapping them in several layers of newspaper. We don't wrap them all, just the biggest. The smaller we eat first.

We store potatoes and sweet potatoes in our root cellar/basement until late winter/early spring, and quality holds very well.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

  • Re: [Livingontheland] storing roots and vegetables, Harvey Ussery, 07/23/2006