livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] root cellars

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "art corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] root cellars
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:05:26 -0500

Well insolated above ground structures can be used but they contain a lot
less moisture than an in-ground root cellar. If you air dry your potatoes
before you put them in the old refrigerators and freezers they should keep
pretty well as long as they are not opened very much in real cold weather.

We have a big problem down here in the Arkansas River valley with water
rising in root cellars. Most cellars and storm shelters here have steel
linings to keep the water out. What part of the Ozarks do you live in?

Art