livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] root cellars / Looking for advice on a few topics

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "art corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] root cellars / Looking for advice on a few topics
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:10:52 -0500

PS:

There is one vegetable that I know of that will keep pretty well in a root
cellar if they are handled very carefully and that is tomatoes. You can pick
tomatoes while they are still green just before they start to ripen. Then
rap each one in either news paper or paper towel and lay them gently in a
bushel basket or card board box. Put only about 3 layers or the weight of
the top ones will damage the bottom one. They must be handled very gently to
keep from bruising them or tearing the skin. If this happens they will rot
real quick. They will go ahead and ripen over time and you should have no
problem having home grown sliced tomatoes for Christmas dinner. If water
melons are handled easy and not all skinned up they will keep all winter in
a cellar.

Art in Arkansas