livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Looking for advice on a few topics

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "art corbit" <art_c@cox.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Looking for advice on a few topics
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:27:15 -0500

Any root cellar, even concrete lined have a moisture problem. You can't
store potatoes or anything like that in them. The dampness causes the stuff
to rot a lot easier and sprout real quick.

Root cellars were normally built to protect canned food from freezing.
Seeds, dried fruits and stuff of this nature can be kept in a fruit cellar
but must be kept in air tight containers. At one time most people would let
their wood stoves burn out at night and in real cold weather the temp inside
the house would go below freezing. Anything canned in glass jars would
freeze and burst. Not only did you loose the food you also had to clean up a
big mess.

Art in Arkansas