livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol's Dirty Little Secrets ---

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ethanol's Dirty Little Secrets ---
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:31:35 -0600

Actually the US military has started using biodiesel.

Google military and biodiesel, you will get over 1.5 million hits.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=%22+military+%22+%22+biodiesel+%22

There are several cities that have started using biodiesel and other alternative fuels for their mass transit and city owned vehicles.

At least one city ( as of last year ) started testing ethanol powered ( fuel cell ) busses.

As to why wind generation plants are not springing up like hot cakes? It actually quite simple, in places where it is very viable, people with money think that it will ruin the view, environmentalist are dragging any purposed windfarm through the court system, because a few birds might die, it might make to much noise, construction might disrupt the local wildlife, and other might happens like that.

For the most part wind farms are like any other power project, people don't want them in their back yard, or they are afraid that it might kill some wild animal - directly or indirectly.

There has been a big wind farm project off Nantucket planed ( 120 turbines ), but, blue bloods with more money than they know what to do with, are fighting it, because they think it will ruin the view, while some environmentalist think it will upset the local fish.

Google " Nantucket " and " wind farm ", and you will get over 120,000 hits:
http://www.google.com/searchas_q=nantucket&num=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=wind+farm&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

It's not that it isn't happening, it's just that some people are fighting tooth and nail to keep it from happening, and in some cases, its just because they don't want to have to look at it.

Greg H.

----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>