livingontheland - [Livingontheland] composting, no-till, etc

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] composting, no-till, etc
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:36:10 -0700 (PDT)

Dear oganicites,

As far as I am concerned, there is no debate concerning, organic, no-till, mulching, etc.  I have seen this in 7 states and 18 countries and there is no place on earth that organic, no-till is not the way to do it.

All the technical talk is worth little; what happens in the garden/field is what is important.  Nature does not plow or dig, add amendments, etc.  I am a "neighbor" to 20 villages on www.nabuur.com and one guy today said that since there are different climates and conditions they need to see what works.  No, organic, no-till works everywhere. I know a farmer in AR who did it for five or so years and stopped.  The system did not fail; he failed.  It works!!

Every time you plow or dig you burn off organic matter faster, you bring up the seed for a new crop of weeds.  In a hot tropical climate the OM has a half life of only 10 days when it is tilled under.  Leave it on top.

The reason gardeners and farmers have a hard time accepting no-till is in the mind; not in the garden/field.

Ken Hargesheimer

Go to: http://bibledvd.googlepages.com/home and www.nabuur.com