livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composting, no-till, etc

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Greg and April" <gregandapril@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composting, no-till, etc
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:28:28 -0600

A couple of small disagreements.

First.    Nature does till, just not the way we do.    Moles, gofers, shrews, rats, mice, earthworms, rabbits and a host of other animals and insects bring dirt ( including subsoil ) to the surface and take organic matter below the surface.    I could show you some big rocks in my sisters yard that had almost been buried by the action of gofers in the last 3-4 years.

Second.    Not everyone will have the same success with the same method, and saying that someone failed and the system didn't, is disrespectful.    Some methods work for some people, other methods work better for other people.    So just because No-Till didn't work for someone, is by no means any reason to say someone failed.    Even the son of the Japanese farmer ( I couldn't even begin to spell his name ) that made a No Till method popular  couldn't get the same results that his father could.

Greg H.