livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] e Small ScalRe: The Integrated Farmstead - AModel for Sustainable Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] e Small ScalRe: The Integrated Farmstead - AModel for Sustainable Agriculture
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:45:29 -0400

On Sat, 13 May 2006 14:11:26 -0600, you wrote:

>Right. His co-op is a better distribution solution. What we're working on
>here is a better production solution, and my belief is humus-rich soil is
>the key to making growing worthwhile and profitable. I rely on many sources
>for this solution.
>
>As you know I'm all for local. But in the not too distant future they may
>have a security problem even with more or less local distribution. Hungry
>people - or thieves trying to make a buck - can hijack food trucks. It's
>harder to hijack your garden. Stealing home grown produce from the garden
>would be slim pickings for thieves. Grow your own is ultimate local. And
>harder for government dumdums to track. Just try to microchip my carrots ;-)

Paul, as you know, not everyone can grow all their own food.
Some people live in cities; others aren't physically able to
grow all their own food. We can't, for instance.

We grow lots of veggies and a little fruit; but we certainly
cannot grow our wheat and other grains, or our dried beans,
or our milk or eggs or meat. We haven't the physical
capability or the land to do so.

Efforts like the Oklahoma Food Cooperative are to be
commended.

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!