livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] e Small ScalRe: The Integrated Farmstead - AModel for Sustainable Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] e Small ScalRe: The Integrated Farmstead - AModel for Sustainable Agriculture
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:38:20 -0400

On Fri, 12 May 2006 19:23:48 -0600, you wrote:

>Robert's co-op is definitely better than the usual grocery distribution
>system, but not a final answer in all respects. I agree it's one way to get
>local food to the city. But the root problem is, you can't distribute food
>that's not being grown, and the dominant commercial model is failing. They
>do their thing, we do ours. We focus on the production of healthy food,
>locally grown and consumed on a much wider basis everywhere, and the key is
>in healthy growing soil. Grow your own and sell locally under the radar.

Robert's Co-op distributes ONLY locally grown food. People
in his area ARE growing it.

In our area, you'd have a heck of a time not starving. This
is not a farming area (too mountainous, really, except for
dairy farms - which are dying off rapidly).

But Robert's Co-op sells only locally produced food: that's
*the whole point* of it.

Pat
--
Gardening in northern Pennsylvania.

Eat local food, change the world for the better!