livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Small Scale Integrated Farmstead - A Model for Sustainable Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Small Scale Integrated Farmstead - A Model for Sustainable Agriculture
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:57:21 -0600

But surely they won't waste gas - if it's available at all - driving 10 to
100 miles out of town for food. People will need growers of all kinds close
enough to walk or ride or carpool, say, every 2 or 3 miles apart. And grow
their own, if they can. I don't count Phoenix or Vegas because they're
history - they just don't know it yet. But wherever there's water or enough
rainwater to collect and store, they can garden and grow more in less space
than commercial agribusiness would ever believe.

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry