livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Permaculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Permaculture
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:12:15 -0500

Shannon said. in regards to perma-culture being expensive;

And you can apply as many or as few of these directives as you want. If you
feel uncomfortable calling it permaculture - then don't.

I agree. We are not nearly sustainable yet, but I have found the guiding principles helpful for reference. We bought a very typical set-up, where pretty much everything needs to be reworked or redone, but having breezed through Mollison's tome, despite its being very overwhelming, has made a big difference. Once in a while I take a quick look at the notes I took, and try to implement some small thing that is do-able: moving the ducks into the orchard, planting trees closer in, moving fencing to make use of a ready-fertilized area for garden.

Especially, it doesn't cost anything to reshape philosophy, which is the most critical thing. Once you've had a brain transplant, everything is possible!

Ken, I love your "Do not buy" precept. When are you coming to OK?

Blessings,
LA