livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:20:07 -0500

Brain transplant. I like that.  Just yesterday I planted green onions, yellow storage onions and shallots around the little fruit trees I just planted.  This frees up garden space, helps keep down grass competition under the fruit trees and adds to the layers in the orchard that Carrie was talking about earlier.  I'll further maximize the space by spreading seedballs composed of oats, white Dutch clover, mangles and Daikon radishes.  The oats are for organic matter and grass competition, the clover for nitrogen and organic matter, the mangle will provide a crop of livestock feed for the fall and the daikon radishes will open up the soil (and provide a few pickled radishes for me).  Permaculture opens up endless opportunities and it doesn't have to be expensive if you work at small scale projects.  It does take time.  Three years ago, I transplanted a  few daylilies along the fence line of my garden.  Suddenly, this year, they are providing a real barrier to grass and weeds from the pasture.  Three years may seem like a long time to wait--but quick fixes are what have gotten us into a lot of the trouble we are in today with gm foods, herbicides and pesticides.

Claudia