livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:47:36 -0500

Claudia,

About where do you live? I believe its too hot for oats now here but I'd like to hear it if I'm wrong!

(We're in Alabama, zone 7 on the verge of zone 8)

BTW, list, I buy my oats from the health food stores as the feed store only sells it in 50 pound sacks.... something like that laying around for a period of time invites rats and mice. I usually plant in early October and it overwinters fine.

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins
----- Original Message ----- From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
<snip>
I'll further maximize the space by spreading seedballs composed of oats, white Dutch clover, mangles and ?
Daikon radishes. The oats are for organic matter and grass competition, the clover for nitrogen and organic >matter, the mangle will provide a crop of livestock feed for the fall and the daikon radishes will open up the >soil (and provide a few pickled radishes for me).
<snip>
Claudia