livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Claudia & Linda" <dragonhill2@netzero.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:21:01 -0500

Laura,
I'm in northeastern Oklahoma--zone 6 on the cusp of zone 7. It's actually
late to plant oats here too but I think I can get enough growth from them
even this late to add enough organic matter to the soil and provide enough
grass competition to make the effort worthwhile. Since I have livestock
that eat whole oats, there's no problem with having extra oats setting
around. In fact, just came from the barn where my Alpine doe presented me
with two new little mouths to feed--well, she'll take care of it for awhile.
:-)

Claudia