livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hunger in America

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hunger in America
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:02:14 -0700

I compiled a bunch of recipes for the local commodities folk using the
commodities. They had told me that nobody wanted the instant potatoes or the
dried milk and I found an amazing quantity of recipes utilizing these
ingredients. Even doughnuts from the potatoes! I don't think soups would be a
good start. I think that fresh mac n cheese and soups from canned veggies
would be better. I have a very simple recipe for minestrone using a can mixed
veggies,a can kidney beans,a small can tomato sauce and some elbow macaroni.
Fresh pizza would be easy.Or fried chicken and mashed potatoes.....
First you have to use what's at hand. Besides, this way you don't feel so bad
when experimenting and getting those inevitable learners failures. I also
think it would be helpful to put together a recommended monthly menu with
recipes and tips. Start small and work into it. I agree about the muffins and
quick bread. Even the bran cereal handed out makes great muffins as well as
breading for some fried things.
All the frugal shopping you can do wouldn't help someone who doesn't know how
to utilize it. There is a learning curve involved, but it's progressive.
Starting small and making a few favorites is very inspiring.
I have been asked to teach basics and have been giving it some thought.
Perhaps a book might be better? It woul be able to benefit more.

Barb