livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hunger in America

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hunger in America
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:02:53 -0500

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:19:51 -0500, you wrote:

>> Also they give out very high quality venison, but we're
>> afraid to eat it since we found out where it comes from (CWD
>> is a possibility).
>1) I have seen references to this, but don't know much about it. Does this
>contaminate all the meat or just some of the organs? Do you know if it's
>inspected to rule out CWD in each animal?

To the best of my knowledge, it is not inspected. The
venison at the Food Bank comes from the USDA, and they get
it from 'control measures' at various national parks and
forests. (So it says on the package.) It's a disease
similar to BSE.

The beef stew was hysterical: we opened it, and it was
covered with fluorescent-orange, thick waxy sludge of some
kind. We scraped off the thick waxy sludge (at least 1/2"
thick), and neither of us had the heart to even taste the
stew, it looked and smelled like dog food. We finally gave
a little bit to the two dogs (not very much). One dog was
OK with it, the other dog vomited the entire night, and
shook and trembled (she was scared to death). We took her
to the vet the next day, and the vet gave us medicine to
calm her stomach. So the darn stew cost us $40, plus a
night without sleep for me, trying to calm a dog who was
convinced she was dying and clean up whenever she vomited.
(They are robust dogs, and rarely have any problems like
that: well, this was the only time so far.)

Like most (I believe) low-income people in the USA, we have
no shortage of calories. We don't need empty calories. We
need nutritious food.

But there you are. The food at our local Food Bank is
likely to be no worse than the food purchased by many
people. I mean: people use actual money to actually buy
this kind of valueless, over-processed stuff.

Pat

--
NOW OPEN! ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful