livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Hunger in America

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Hunger in America
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:48:46 -0500

Wonderful summary of strategies, Pat. Robert Waldrop's strategies from his
experiment and your list make it clear that people who have and use multiple
food related skills can eat in much more steady and healthy way. If you
were starting with a person who has been feeding themselves mostly with fast
food and frozen dinners and now needs to feed themselves on a low income or
food stamp budget, what do you think is a good order to help them learn the
skills in? And let's say the person has a positive attitude and wants to
learn, but just has never had much contact with people who cooked from
scratch, so they are unknowledgeable about many useful things. I think
frugal shopping is a good place to start as that allows the person to
maximize their money from the start and quickly. But is seems to me that
that needs to be followed almost instantaneously with maximizing nutrition
and at least some basics of scratch cookery or the person is sitting there
looking at their bag of flour and wondering what's for dinner :-) ?

Sharon
gordonse@one.net
n/listinfo/livingontheland