livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Growing in a short season WAS Hunger in America

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "self-reliance, networking, and simple living, for small farm sustainability, rural independence and security." <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Growing in a short season WAS Hunger in America
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:32:51 -0500

>We found nobody growing and selling local produce, probably due to
climate, altitude, etc. Yet land is frontier cheap and the water is so clean
and good for irrigating. And we are determined it can be done, even on
rented property with under 10" precip annually and a 90-day growing season.

***Though you might not want to do this until you can get your own land, a
great solution is Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest strategies. Most
libraries have his books, and there are great photos on their website.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net