livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Interesting and creative uses/was:Hunger in America

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Bella Luna" <spirit@gilanet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Interesting and creative uses/was:Hunger in America
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:52:37 -0700

Interesting and creative uses-here's a few more-

>>stale bagels
french toast,mini pizzas (just spread with sauce and cheese and toast),bread
pudding,stuffing casserole,bread crumbs for meat loaf or meatballs or
breading for frying.....

> >nd small pudding-type desserts
combine with the donuts to make a trifle,use as filling for a cake or
pie,freeze for an ice creamy dessert.........

And canned beef stew.......
cook up some more potatoes,carrots,veggies and mix together to cut
saltiness,serve over buttered noodles,pot pie with cheesy mashed
potatoes,warm up with splash of wine,some onions,and bay leaves with extra
water added-altho the meat is poor quality you could add more-even chicken!

and sugar-laden cereals.....
pure junk but you can crush them up finely,mix with ground nuts and butter
and use as a crust-or mix with some fruit or pie filling...if bran type you
can make bread or muffins-make granola with it by mixing dried fruits and
nuts...

Also cans of tuna......
you can combine with bread crumbs to make patties,fish soup,tuna
casserole,make a cream sauce mix in peas/carrots and serve over noodles
,(SOS),mix into mac n cheese,mix with tomato sauce and cook for a while serve
over macaroni,fish bait,mixed with dry dog or cat food as treat and protein
booster....tuna shake anyone? :-)

one jar of peanut butter or jelly.....
pb used a substitute for eggs and shortening in a yellow cake mix makes a
great snack cake,make pb cookies,melt some chocolate in a pie tin,mix pb with
confectioners sugar,put more chocolate on top and have a big peanut butter
cup,try making corn muffins with pb,warm and pour over ice cream,mix with
cool whip and make a peanut butter pie,mix with some corn meal,melted lard
and bird seed and feed birds(better bug killer than pesticides for the
garden),

Also they give out very high quality venison,
I wouldn't trust it myself! Too bad actually, altho I'm sure you could make
some great dog/cat food with it. You can even mix in peanut butter (dogs love
it) and make dog treats. YOu can even simmer the bones and make a stock to
mix with dry dog food or cat food,make jerky and us as treats?

It's too bad about the fruit and veggies. It seems that they only give out
the junk (or expired stuff) that the companies can use as a write off.
Personally, I really don't trust any of it, but I can understand there are
times you need to survive. Still, there can be much healthier and cheaper
ways of eating. Just like you can't get people to read, you also can't get
people to change their diets unless they want to or are forced by other
circumstances. All you can do is make the information available. If people
don't choose to use it that's their problem. You really can't save anyone
from themselves.

Barb