labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Mississauga

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "joe calico" <jcalico@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Mississauga
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:16:07 -0500

As I recollect, the trees you find on Hurontario just north of Burnamthorpe are oak trees, Pin Oak (columnar) to be more exact.

As for protection, I agree with what Joe B says below, but, I have yet another theory.  We all know that salt is bad for plants in general.  We also know why road crews use salt on the roads; to melt the ice.  Therefore, I suspect that one of the big benefits of using the wrap on any tree in boulevards is to keep the road salt away from the branches.  Salt lowers the freezing point of water thereby hastening the desiccation process on the branches due to high winds.  The tree would have to work all that much harder to keep the branches from drying out and would likely succumb under high wind conditions.  When you consider that winds howl down Hurontario frequently (in some spots the road has 10 lanes plus the centre boulevard) and the high traffic sure does kick up the melted water droplets containing the road salt.  …like I said, it’s just a theory but one thing is for sure; the trees always look very healthy throughout the summer ever since they were planted years ago.

Joe C.