labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Quince & Cold Storage

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Quince & Cold Storage
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:22:15 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Biz Storms

My best half has identified 2008 as the year to build a cold / apple storage
building. Any suggestions,

=====

My father in-law has simply put apples in wooden barrels, moving the barrels
into the cellar or drive shed for the winter.

I have seen plans for apple storage/packing buildings;

Apple Storage & Packing Facility
http://cerc.colostate.edu/Blueprints/Farm/6314.pdf

Also, I have been reading about CO2 injection. Apples are put into large
boxes lined with a huge plastic bag. They then inject the bag with CO2 and
seal it. The apple stores better in the CO2 environment.

Apple Storage Technologies
http://www.usapple.org/consumers/storage.cfm

Just a couple of starting points.

Personally, If I was just doing small scale storage, I would go with the
concrete foundation/root cellar.

Later,