labruscagrape - [OFEX] Winter protection

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Winter protection
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:56:46 -0500

Hi,

(Margie help me out with the name of the winery mentined below. thanks)

If you want to see some real winter protection head down to the wineries located near Harrow on the north shore of lake Erie.

They actually have propane heaters with fans that mix the cold air with heated air during the winter to protect grape vines. It was orginally intended for spring frost protection.

The fellow who first used spring frost protection all winter, did it by mistake (it is rumored). But it was a happy accident. His crop improved so much the first year it paid for his investment in heaters and fans in the vineyard. I am told they are all jumping on the bandwagon.

Southwestern Ontario Vintners Association
http://www.swovintners.com/

Later,